Sunday, June 7, 2009

Magazine project final








So here's my final post for 200. The dimentions are 8 inches tall and 6 inches wide. I wanted a smaller mag that seemed out of place in its orientation, sort of a under dog of magazines, but the reality is that the mag deserves to be three times larger but is more economical and environmentally friendly at its designed and produced size, and the size lends it a more precious quality as well.
I've finished the magazine, I ended up with a perfect bound Magazine including two fold out spreads and a feature article proceeding the foldouts. the theme originally was design, architecture, and funiture design. But in the end I stuck with the architecture as the theme.
I really worked alot on the mechanics of the magazine, I knew I wanted a non traditional style mag. I wanted a more crafted and thought out design mag. So I worked on including two fold out pages and the engeneering ended up consuming more energy than planned on and after many mock ups and exploring I came to my final set up, which works well.
The cover went through much change as well and ended up lookin really nice. in the end I used a pic of the grid like glass walls layered with color and the title and article names. the back is a low opacity of the front pic as well as a layer of crumpled paper for texture and some vector drawn elements. the inside cover mimmics the outer cover by reversing the design elements and playing with those as well as some vector drawing that goes along with the mag aesthetic.
The first article was worked out and is quite pleasing with consistent graphic elements, color theme and type treatments. all comes together to create an inviting article, one that appears worth while to read.

And ultimately this mag from the inside and out is intersting aesthetically pleasant. It was a fantastic, fun project exploring binding options and styles as well as page design in a more experimental fashion, I know and realize traditional magazine design is clearly difficult, where I wanted to look at tradition as well as experimental mag design and make some thing that encompassed dimensions of design that I like and appreciate and make a magazine that represents me.

No comments:

Post a Comment